Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to LiquidFootball. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Harry Redknapp 'relieved' to miss out on England job
Topic Started: Sep 22 2012, 04:45 AM (177 Views)
Homer
Member Avatar
I am the King
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has expressed his relief that he was not offered the England job, despite being the overwhelming favourite to succeed Fabio Capello.

The 65-year-old, who was cleared of tax evasion the day the Italian left the Three Lions job, led Spurs to fourth place for the second time in three seasons last term.

However, he insists he would not have wanted the "part-time" role and revealed he was delighted to hear Roy Hodgson had been approached.

"I was enjoying my life at Tottenham and I did wonder how I would cope, if it happened, with what is part-time football,” Redknapp told the Daily Mail. "I do enjoy seeing footballers every day; being on the training ground.

"I was driving when I heard on the radio that Roy had got the job. It happened out of the blue. But I didn't lose any sleep over it that night.

"I was almost quite relieved in a way - that I hadn't been given a decision to make. The decision had been taken away from me."

The FA have since claimed that Hodgson was the only man they wanted and Redknapp believes contractual matters at Spurs could have influenced their decision.

"When I look back I think it was always going to be a problem for me," he added.

"I mean, I have to be careful what I say here, but I had a contract that was very heavily loaded; that anyone who wanted to take me, we're talking massive money in compensation.

"The FA would say that it wasn't the reason and it wouldn't be fair on Roy Hodgson to say I would have had the job had it not been for that. But I always felt, from day one, that it might rule me out. That it might be a problem."

Chelsea’s triumph in the Champions League final last term denied Spurs a place among Europe’s elite this campaign, despite their fourth-placed finish.

But Redknapp has dismissed suggestions that this led to his subsequent sacking and the appointment of Andre Villas-Boas.

"Looking back I don't think finishing fourth decided it," he continued.

"I think the club just wanted to make a change. It was their decision. It was Daniel Levy's decision to do what he did and he can do what he wants. It's his club."
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
AntMcfc
Member Avatar
POTY
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lmao as if mate, you were gagging for the job.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Homer
Member Avatar
I am the King
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ipswich boss Paul Jewell has revealed Harry Redknapp telephoned to reassure him that he was not interested in his job at Portman Road.

Paul Jewell reassured by Harry Redknapp phone call

Former Spurs manager Redknapp has been linked with Ipswich after the Suffolk club's poor start to the season.

Jewell told BBC Radio Suffolk: "Harry rang me last Sunday and said there was abolutely no truth in it.

"The only worrying thing was at the end of the conversation he asked me what the best areas to live were."
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
AntMcfc
Member Avatar
POTY
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He would say that now that he hasn't got the job.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Football · Next Topic »
Add Reply